Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I did it!

The 10K has come and gone.  On Sunday morning we woke up early, got dressed, pinned my number to my chest, got breakfast and waited for the train to take us to Camden.  Waiting for the start, my heart was pounding.  Here I was, about to run 6.2 miles, the longest distance I've ever attempted.  Dave was there with encouraging words to get me to the start line.  We met up with Julius since he was the reason I was running this race in the first place.

Julius and I made it towards the start line and met up with some of his other Philly Fitters and my nerves were starting to subside.  I was already in the crowd waiting for the start, there was nothing else I could do other than run.  Julius had just run the Marine Corps Marathon the weekend prior so he was just chilling and enjoying the run so I set a 4 minute run/1 minute walk pattern.  I was not going to be able to run the whole course so to try and keep up a more consistent pace I chose a Galloway interval.

The run was hard, I keep finding hard things to finish :-).  Having Julius there during the run was positively  awesome for me.  I remember something he said around mile 4:  "We've already done 2 miles twice, so we can do 2 more."  It was great to run with him and I was able to set a PR by 20 seconds on twice the distance with relatively minimal residual pain.  I call that a win!

It was awesome to finish that race, to be able to add one more thing to the list that I was able to accomplish.  That is the most important thing, find something you want to go for, some goal, and go for it.  Accomplishing something is more important for us in the long run.  Whatever you choose to make your goal, make a goal and go for it.  Finishing something breeds pride in ourselves and motivation to keep going.

I challenge you to find something you want to do (big or little) and make your next goal and do it.  Don't be afraid, don't worry about failing, just do it.  In the immortal words of Yoda:  "Do or do not, there is no try."

No comments:

Post a Comment